Monday 19 February 2007

Damned if you do & Damned if you don't

I hate the debate about 'Size 0' and the fact that the media portray it being the best thing since sliced bread.

Media moguls are more than responsible for fueling the debate by continually printing photos of these super-slim models/actresses.

I do believe that there is more than enough industry pressure on the models to look this way. The blame also has to lie with the bookers, designers, photographers etc. The girls are just giving them want they want.

Then you have the icons of the young and impressionable who go out of their way to look this thin. Mostly the actresses & Posh Spice! This lot I just don't understand.

So you can imagine my disgust when I opened 'OK' magazine today which had an article on Celeb Weight Battles! It did 'then' and 'now' photos of Jessica Simpson, Coleen McLoughlin, Kelly Osbourne, Martine McCutcheon & Rachel Stevens. The snippets beside the photos said things like 'the TV presenter managed to lose 2 1/2 stone over the last year, but it looks as if the old Kelly is slowly creeping back again!' or ' Self-confessed dieter Martine managed to go down from a size 14 to 10, but despite her good intentions, she has filled out."

WTF!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You couldn't have said it better.

The media and how they portray women and their weight really has done a lot to damage women and girls on this planet.

I have a hard time with my appearance and self worth issues... and I am worried about what this media shit will do to my daughters.

Thank you for posting this!

Anonymous said...

ITA! And Posh is no role model.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you are welcome to her now! lol