Friday 30 January 2009

Gym Bunny

OK, so I took all that self hatred I was feeling at the start of the week and used it to spur me into the gym!

Yes, I joined the gym on Tuesday. Yeah me!

Straight away I could list a gazillion reasons why I couldn’t go, from 'I don't have any sports bag' to 'I don't have tracksuit bottoms' or ‘I can’t afford it’.

And whilst I'm sure I did the right thing, I was as nervous as hell going for my induction. I of course felt/looked fat & unfit but like I said to the trainer, I’m in it for the long haul.

He put me through my paces and showed me how to work all the cardio machines. Currently, I’m liking the rower & treadmill and disliking the stepper & wave machine.

He made up a card and told me to focus on the distance or resistances achieved on each machine, as opposed to the length of time spend on them. I should aim for maximum of 10 mins per machine and rotate them, ensuring all my muscle groups are getting a workout - as well as a cardio workout.

As usual, my face turned bright red and I was struggling for breath but in some weird sado-type way, I actually enjoyed it!

Now don’t get me wrong, I don't think I'll ever turn into a Gym Bunny but I think I’ll enjoy going to gym and it just might not be as bad as I’d first thought. It’s just the ‘getting out of the house after the kids go to bed’ bit I’ll find difficult.

2 comments:

Deirdre said...

Go you! That's great and I'm glad your induction went well. I bet in no time it will become a habit. Get Ivan to kick you out the door after the girls go down. Treat yourself to a manicure when you've done a month's worth, before too long it will be new clothes you're treating yourself to.
xx

Dara said...

I'm excited for you!